Sunday, July 22, 2007

Southern Splendor on a Sunday

This painting is aptly titled "Southern Splendor" and is by artist Jim Booth. My DH and I won this painting at auction benefitting the NC Waterfowl Association. The painting itself is beautiful but made me stop and think of thinks that are just plain ole Southern. Looking at the painting you see the beautiful moss dripping from the trees overlooking the marsh at sunset. You can almost smell the marsh. Even though I am not yet fortunate enough to live on the marsh or water, I do realize how fortunate I am to live in the south.

While at COSTCO the other day I came across 2 books that pointed out decadently different the south is. The first was a book called Southern Cakes. It is by Nancie McDermott who is a cooking teacher and lives here in the south, here in NC actually. According to the website for the book SOUTHERN CAKES: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations, you should "Taste the chocolatey goodness of Mississippi Mud or marvel at the extravagant elegance of the Lady Baltimore and there will be no doubt that Southerners know how to bake a cake. Here are 65 recipes for some of the most delicious ever. Jam cakes and jelly rolls; humble pear bread and peanut cake; whole chapters on both chocolate and coconut cakes—each moist and delicious forkful represents the spirit of the South. A Baking 101 section offers the cake basics, some finishing touches (that means frosting and lots of it!), and the how-to's of storing each lovely concoction so that the last slice tastes as fresh and delightful as the first". And we southern belles love to bake.

Now of course, Southerners love to enteretain as well. And many cannot entertain without a traditional Mint Julep, or Milk Punch, or Plantation Punch. That leads me to my second book:

Southern Cocktails: Dixie Drinks, Party Potions & Classic Libations by Denise Gee. The publisher offers us this little tidbit on what will be a classic book for Southern entertainers:

'"Don't mind if I do . . . " Welcome to one of the South's most cherished traditions the cocktail hour. This charming volume overflows with Southern spirit with classics like the Mint Julep and the Hurricane to new concoctions like the Blueberry Martini and the Peach Mojito, each drink is as relaxing as a riverboat ride down the Mississippi. A checklist of Bar Necessities ensures that there will be more than Southern Comfort in the cupboard when company calls, and recipes like Devilish Eggs or Sweet and Sassy Pecans will keep hunger at bay until dinner. Raise a toast to old-time Southern hospitality.'

So whether or not your partake of a Dixie Drink, come join me on my wonderful dock jetting into the marsh during the sunset and have a big ole hunk of Mississippi Mud Cake. And don't worry, I always have a cold glass of sweet tea or lemonade to quench your thirst.

3 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

Okay, now you've done it. I'm sooooo hungry.

Hugs!
Kat

PAT said...

Great book reviews! Thanks so much. Will have a look around for them. Especially like the cocktail book.

The painting is lovely and reminds me of the wonderful days when I lived where the moss dripped from trees.

Pat

Michelle said...

OK...after our previous discussion of the painting I know you realize that you have to live in the true south to understand it! I forget that.... LOL LOVE it.

BTW...thanks for finding more books I just must have!

GREAT post! (((hugs)))