Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Summer Advice

Ideas for help with skeeters...you know...those pesky things we get in the hot,humid south.

Use Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets...just wipe on & go..Great for Babies

Bob, a fisherman, takes one vitamin B-1 tablet a day April through October. He said it works. He was right. Hasn't had a mosquito bite in 33 years. Try it. Every one he has talked into trying it works on them. Vitimin B-1( Thiamine Hydrochloride 100 mg.)


If you eat bananas, the mosquitos like you, - something about the banana oil as your body processes it. Stop eating bananas for the summer and the mosquitos will be much less interested.

This is going to floor you, but one of the best insect repellents someone found (who is in the woods every day), is Vick's Vaporub.

Plant marigolds around the yard, the flowers give off a smell that bugs do not like, so plant some in that garden also to help ward off bugs without using insecticides.

"Tough guy" Marines who spend a great deal of time "camping out" say that the very best mosquito repellant you can use is AvonSkin-So-Soft bath oil mixed about half and half with alcohol.


One of the best natural insect repellants that I have discovered is made from clear real vanilla. This is the pure vanilla that is sold in Mexico. It works great for mosquitoes and ticks, don't know about other insects.

If none of these work for you......Get a FROG!!

JAPANESE BEETLES (from Old Fashioned Living)

The Japanese Beetles are in full swing here, so Iwanted to repeat this excellent tip from Mary on how she handles these nasty pests!

I used the cheapest lemon dishwashing liquid I could find, and poured it along with 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol,(see below) into the container of my hose-end sprayer and sprayed it on my garden, berry plants, and appletrees. Imagine my surprise the next day when I went out and only saw one beetle on the area I had sprayed! On the other side of my fence I had not sprayed, and found multitudes of them! I am so happy I found a safe, effective (and cheap!) way to finally take care of these critters. It also cuts down on the amount the kids eat on the sly, since they need to bring it in to wash it before eating! I put the 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol in the bottom of myhose-end sprayer container, and then filled the rest up with the lemon dish soap. Mine mixes with water from the hose to make 6 gallons of spray. I noted that this spray does not seem to bother the bees, who were merrily buzzing around the garden the next day.

Today's quote:
With the first gleam of morning rays,the garden is a prism of a thousandhues refracted in tiny does of crystaldew, a dazzling quilt of millefleur colorscovering the sleeping flower beds.
~Duane Michals

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Great Tip! The little pests are eating away my Japanese Maple and roses. I usually use 7 dust. I may have to give this a try.

Cathy
@ Domestic Bliss