Friday, November 05, 2010

Fashion Friday FAUX PAS?????

OK...I am jumping up on my soap box once again and hope for some input and insight for the southernly well versed on fashion girls out there.

1.) Sororities requiring white dresses (though not formal, actually like a "sundress") and white shoes for initiation in late November. Do you know how hard it is to find a becoming NEW (you know it has to be new and not borrowed) white dress, much less white shoes in Oct/Nov????

2.) Lilly Pulitzer...fashion diva...from Palm Springs... (now I know many don't consider Florida a southern state (please excuse me, Miss Janice, but you will see where I am going with this) still coming out with very summery items, NOT from resort line, and PATENT LEATHER. I don't get it.


3) Major Southern retailers whose buyers know the "fashion rules" and still include patent leather purses and shoes this time of year as well as a few other fashion oddities.

Even the better consignment shops have put away their white and patent leather!!

I could go on and on, but to be frank, I just don't give a damn....at the moment!!

But y'all know...I have to get in one last word (on a slightly different topic):
Now that this summer beach bum belle is ready to find some fall wear and maybe even a coat this year (YIKES), I get so frustrated going into my favorite stores and seeing what is out there these days! And one last thing...where are the clothes for the 40 somethings??? They are either way to young...no offense to my younger readers...I love the styles for 20 and early somethings in the classic and preppy wear...it seems like designers forget about people say once they hit 35ish and then different designers pick up when you are 60 something to even much older. (no offense mother...you do have style). HELP!!!!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Ok...I understand the white dresses for the sorority function...but white sundress? And white shoes? This time of the year? Sorry....I'm clueless I guess on that one.

I've been disappointed with the colors this fall. Everywhere, in all the stores, all I see is purple, army green, burnt orange, brown, and tan. Boring boring colors...and I don't look good in any of those!

Lisa said...

UGH, I hated dress whites. The worst was in my third year, someone in our chapter decided we all had to buy white bridesmaid formal dresses from David's or make our own to fit a pattern. FUGLY.

Unknown said...

We were so lucky that Devan was required to have a white dress and shoes for her high school graduation. So, when it came time for sorority stuff that fall, we were set. We have more than gotten our money out of that particular ensemble.

That said, I'm totally with you...white...in the fall? Do you think they're just really trying to find out how resourceful we all are?

Socially Savvy said...

Preach on! I am on the soapbox with you - I have had it too!

Michelle said...

I understand so well. Fortunately, we had DD's white dress covered from her graduation dress so all we had to find were white hose...that wasn't easy either. LOL