Sunday, March 09, 2008

It's a sad, sad day...

Well, if you watched the big game last night, you know my Blue Devils lost. But if you watched the game, you also know my boyfriend was there....

YES!! Matthew McG! He was at the Duke game. The showed him and I started yelling...he's here, I can't believe he is here. I was on the Duke campus a few hours before game time...heck...I could have seen him! My Dh asked, "Who's here?" I, of course, replied "MY BOYFRIEND!!!!" and started calling my mom on the phone. Typical male response was...."Well, why didn't he get us tickets to the game as well?".

There was also many of the past great Duke BBall players were in attendance. And for all of you football fans out there, also in attendance were Eli & Peyton Manning, and Heath Shuler, pro football players (Heath is ex-player, now a NC congressman), all with one thing in common.... they were coached in college by the new Duke football coach. And Eli and Peyton have promised to come to a football game or two as well as their dad.

As many of you know, there is great sadness in Chapel Hill this week. The president of the student body, member of the Board of Trustees, and a prestigious Morehead-Cain scholar, Eve Carson of Athens, GA was killed this week in what appears to be a random act of violence.

She was found with multiple gunshots to the head in the intersection of an upscale, old Chapel Hill neighborhood. The UNC players had a patch on their jerseys with Eve's name on it. The Duke student body (who hates the shade of "Carolina blue") wore ribbons of Carolina Blue during the game. Students cut 6000 ribbons in the hours before the game for all students who attended to wear. As they received their ribbons, they were instructed that Coach K is insistent upon them wearing them. Talk about class act.

Another thing that happened before the game (and if you watched you saw this) that I have never seen before in a college bball game is both teams and coaches lined up across the court with the color guard in the middle. The national anthem was sung and then the teams met up at 1/2 court to shake hands before tip-off. Again, truly a class act.

So even though we lost, and as disappointed as I am...I am still very proud to be a Blue Devil! (And we will meet again!)


1 comment:

Dianne said...

Good ol' Matthew is good looking, no doubt! I loved him in 'Failure to Launch' and 'How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.'

I was heartsick about the young girl they found murdered. I have a friend who was murdered several years ago and her death has impacted and shaped my life to a huge degree. It sounds like Eve, from what I heard, was a fabulous person and touched many, many lives. She will live on, I have no doubt...