Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Beach Trip Revisited - Part 2

As most of you know, my favorite town is Beaufort, NC...you can read all about it's history on the bottom of my homepage. I have favorite stores that even if I don't buy anything, I always go in...Personally Yours...by the Sea (LauraLynn, the owner remembers me and my girls year after year. The girls stopped by on their own one day and when DH and I stopped in, she commented on how they have grown and how mature and well mannered they are :D), Scuttlebutt (sells tons of nautical stuff...sailors and such stop in to by their maps, local stuff, magazines, etc.), and several clothing stores. One of these days, I am going on their historic tour. They also have amazing restaurants. I love Clawsons, and the Net House and Beaufort Grocery have been written up several times in Southern Living. For the best hamburgers on the planet, you have to check out The Royal James Cafe. Can't wait to have a burger there when we go down the end of the month for the NC Seafood Festival and to go deep sea fishing on a charter boat. More on that when it happens. And then there is the Dock House. DH and I just stopped in for a cold soda while meandering around town one day and plan to eat there when we go back down. It is a restaurant but I have never eaten there. In high school and college and such, when we would go to the beach, we always headed to Beaufort at night, sit outside the Dock House on the boardwalk, and listen to the live music. (Lots of Jimmy Buffett stuff!!!) It was the social scene. And will you believe I just happened to find a Beaufort's Best Blog!!!! Oh my goodness...I'm in heaven!! Anyway... while walking along the boardwalk, we happened to see this spectacular yacht. Her name is "Sea Jewel" and her home is Kingstown, Jamaica (not to be confused with Kingston). She was massive, as you can see below, I couldn't even fit her in the picture.

Most of the days were spent just sitting on the beach. Some days in the sun, some just under the pier, taking in our surroundings. Sometimes the girls joined us, sometimes it was just us. But always, it was peaceful and serene and relaxing, and I could go on and on. Here DH watches the people in the ocean.
And for some reason, I had to take a picture of my toes in the sand!
"We all leave footprints in the sand, the question is, will we be a big heal, or a great soul?" ~author unknown
One day we were overtaken by seagulls and such, they even came right up to us and took up crumbs we dropped on the sand.



On Wednesday of that week, we had the outer bands of Hurricane Faye nearby. We didn't get that much rain but it was quite windy and the ocean definitely kicked it up a notch!! Nearing sunset, while sitting on the pier, I caught these surfers waiting for the next set.

And one caught a great wave in...

And at last, sunset...
Stop by tomorrow for the last of my pictures...some marvelous sunsets by the sea.

Quote of the Day:

"The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach - waiting for a gift from the sea."

~Anne Morrow Lindbergh

No comments: